Register now and join the DOS Gamer community - Its FREE!!!   To register please click here...

WHATS NEW? | GAMES | APPS | FORUM | UPLOAD | FAQ | CONTACT
  Sign In
Username:
Password:
Register Now
Lost Pwd?
Games
Search:                                    VB Code  Free fonts

All DOS Games
Action Games
Adult Games
Adventure Games
Card Games
Chess Games
Compilation Games
Card Games
Educational Games
Fighting Games
IF Games
Puzzle Games
Racing Games
RPG Games
Simulation Games
Sport Games
Strategy Games
Trivia Games
War Games
Windows Games
Uncategorised
Random Game
Top 50 DOS Games
Trending Games
Request A Game
Browse By Letter
A B C D E
F G H I J K
L M N O P
Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
Browse By Number
0 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9
Applications
DOS Games FAQ

Collections

Home · Groups · Suggest · Collections

DOS Gamer Group Message

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Sunday, 18th December 2022 - 08:35
Allow users to create named, arbitrary collections of games on dosgamer.
Allow them to add a description for the collection itself, as well as a description for each game.
Allow them to set a custom sort order for the collection.
Add a feature where users can work through each collection in the provided order.
Allow collections to be private, unlisted (can access if have link) or public.
Users can rate public collections so we can develop a list of popular ones.

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Sunday, 18th December 2022 - 08:40
Allow them to specify a "theme" for the collection for categorisation purposes.

CyberAxe 887
DOS Gamer Staff
Location: Ukraine
Member Since: 5th May 2000

Posted - Sunday, 18th December 2022 - 10:51
I think this would be an extension of 'favlist'

If I understand correctly.
A user can create a collection of games. i.e. 'Doom Clones' or 'EGA Platformers'
and share/not share with other users, would can 'like, comment, follow' etc

and work through the games like a playlist.

I like it. Will take a little time, but this will be coming soon.

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Sunday, 18th December 2022 - 10:58
Yes, you have it exactly right. Not limited by platform or anything, just a collection of any number of games available on dosgamer. Ideally with it's own deeplink so the collection can be shared anywhere - reddit for example. Could be quite the traffic getter.

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Sunday, 18th December 2022 - 11:09
To be clear I think that "working through the games in order like a playlist" should be an option, but not a requirement. The view ought to be able to pick and choose the games they want to check out from the main collection list if they so choose. I guess similar to a Youtube playlist.

The initial view should be a list of all games in the collection, maybe similar to search results (actually probably use search results where collection=x) except the collection description should be shown at the top of the list/each page as well as the custom game descriptions alongside the usual stats and specs - dev, publisher, date etc.

Maybe clicking a game in a collection opens it in a new tab or moves the collection list to a sidebar beside the dosbox window so the viewer can easily return to the list.

CyberAxe 887
DOS Gamer Staff
Location: Ukraine
Member Since: 5th May 2000

Posted - Sunday, 18th December 2022 - 13:29
..or moves the collection list to a sidebar..

I was going to replace the right sidebar in a similar way to a youtube playlist, with the current position in the list highlighted.

I'm just trying to work it out all, but will certainly be coming soon.

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Sunday, 18th December 2022 - 15:18
Sounds perfect!

CyberAxe 887
DOS Gamer Staff
Location: Ukraine
Member Since: 5th May 2000

Posted - Thursday, 29th December 2022 - 10:07
Just thought I would give a little update about this.

This feature is progressing nicely. It's over half way completed. I expect it to be finished over the weekend.

There are a few gotchas ...

The Collection Name, must be globally unique. (or 'This collection name already exists' error)
 [this is to keep URLs from becoming 'messy']
Max of 100 games per collection (atm)
Only alphabetic sort is supported.

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Thursday, 29th December 2022 - 10:52
Great!

I think the globally unique name could be problematic though, or at least restrictive. Could you avoid the problem by assigning a unique ID number to each collection and using that in the URL? Seems like most other URLS around here are constructed that way already.

And is there some reason or purpose behind limiting collections to 100 items? I guess larger collections could become a pro feature?

CyberAxe 887
DOS Gamer Staff
Location: Ukraine
Member Since: 5th May 2000

Posted - Monday, 2nd January 2023 - 16:03
This feature is mostly ready now.

Working
  • Users can create collections in my collections.
  • add/delete games for any platform to any collection.
  • Can deep link to any game in a collection, playlist is maintained.
  • Playlist adjusts its scroll position and highlights current game.
  • Optional custom description.
  • Public/private option (Private by default)
  • Users can browse public collections at /games/collections/
  •   (owner can view their own private pages and edit too.)
  • Collections can contain any number of games, and will page when necessary.

Future improvements

  • voting / star rating
  • custom sorting (Not just A-Z)
  • game play pages to contain more data.

It is still not fully complete and may be subject to changes, have fun experimenting.

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Monday, 2nd January 2023 - 22:50
Had a quick look - seems to be working very well! This adds a whole new side to the site for me, and others I hope.

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Monday, 2nd January 2023 - 22:53
For the To Do list, pls add ability to delete collections that aren't needed anymore or created in error.

CyberAxe 887
DOS Gamer Staff
Location: Ukraine
Member Since: 5th May 2000

Posted - Tuesday, 3rd January 2023 - 20:21
This adds a whole new side to the site for me, and others I hope.
Big smile I hope so too, I want DOS Gamer to be the biggest and best DOS Gaming website.

For the To Do list, pls add ability to delete collections that aren't needed anymore or created in error.

Also Rename Wink I will get around to this soon, but wanted the basic framework finished first.

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Wednesday, 4th January 2023 - 05:12
Probably my most wanted QOL feature here is an "Add to Collection..." link on the play page. Could be tricky though - would need to present a list of existing collections as well as a "Create new collection" choice. Definitely not a priority though.

GeeTee 6,734
DOS Gamer Pro
Location: Australia
Member Since: 10th Jun 2008

Posted - Thursday, 5th January 2023 - 14:23
Noticed new collection delete and rename features - very nice!

I've made a couple of collections that I've been working on public - check 'em out! https://dosgamer.com/games/collections/

Reply to Collections

You need to log in to post a reply.

Your IP: 13.58.247.31 (US) |   1646 users online

^ Top | About | Disclaimer | Terms | Privacy | Cookies | DMCA | Contact
Copyright © 1999-2024 dosgamer.com All Rights Reserved.