Register now and join the DOS Gamer community - Its FREE!!!   To register please click here...

WHATS NEW? | GAMES | APPS | FORUM | UPLOAD | FAQ | CONTACT
  Sign In
Username:
Password:
Register Now
Lost Pwd?
Games
Search:                                    VB Code  Free fonts

All DOS Games
Action Games
Adult Games
Adventure Games
Card Games
Chess Games
Compilation Games
Card Games
Educational Games
Fighting Games
IF Games
Puzzle Games
Racing Games
RPG Games
Simulation Games
Sport Games
Strategy Games
Trivia Games
War Games
Windows Games
Uncategorised
Random Game
Top 50 DOS Games
Trending Games
Request A Game
Browse By Letter
A B C D E
F G H I J K
L M N O P
Q R S T U
V W X Y Z
Browse By Number
0 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9
Applications
DOS Games FAQ

Are Dos Games Dead?

Home · Groups · General DOS Gaming · Are Dos Games Dead?

DOS Gamer Group Message

cjsdad 6
DOS Gamer Fan
Location: United States
Member Since: 29th Mar 2007

Posted - Monday, 12th March 2007 - 01:23
In the todays internet world, all of us are encountering larger download files of videogames which are written for the 32Bit platform and all use DirectX. The only real reason why most games today are written using DirectX is because the programmer is not restricted to the 640Kb that Dos has and has full access to the computers Ram.
But wait a minute here, Your Far memory (Farmalloc) in C can access up to 1MB and your Conventional Dos memory (Malloc) can go up to 640Kb (thats 1.64MB memory for the Dos Game programmer).
How much memory does a programmer really need? Not Much!
Look at tutorials on raycasting and bsp trees and you will see what I mean (about memory). I would say, the only thing that really needs LOTS of memory is your Sound Effects/Music Files. But even then , you could load your music and sound files into XMS extended memory (for DOS Realmode).

Lets face it, larger games (tons of photos and music) strain your computer and game quality. I have downloaded lots of 32BIt games that require DirectX.
Most are not up to specs for my Pentium 3 and are at most way too huge to waste the disk space on my computer. I got better things to do than download a 500MB - 5GIG game which im not able to play.
Suppose if the damn game worked, would it be any fun to play??????
That too is something to think about.
I could be wrong , maybe I grew up in the golden age of video games and my tastes are much different than everyone elses and not everyone will agree with me. but I do have a very good point.

The earliest true 3D game came out in the early 1990's (though 3D games have been around since the late 1970's) with the very first maze game made out of mere wireframes from the people at NASA.

My question is, with all the optimizations that can be made as well as faster load/runtime (maze games can run at a 100+ fps if optimized correctly) why do so many people in the internet community itself regard DOS as dead and why are fewer people programming Dos Games????

Reply to Are Dos Games Dead?

You need to log in to post a reply.

Your IP: 18.117.182.179 (US) |   973 users online

^ Top | About | Disclaimer | Terms | Privacy | Cookies | DMCA | Contact
Copyright © 1999-2024 dosgamer.com All Rights Reserved.